April 15 (Reuters) - The following are top stories from selected Canadian newspapers. Reuters has not verified these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.
- A group of some 1,000 Afghans swarmed a demonstration of 300 women protesting against a new conservative marriage law in Kabul on Wednesday. The women were pelted with small stones as police struggled to keep the two groups apart.
- A delegation of residential school survivors has been granted a rare private audience with the Pope in the Vatican, fuelling hope that Benedict XVI will apologize for abuse in institutions run by Roman Catholic missionary congregations.
Report on Business Section
- Fiat SpA FIA.MI will abandon Chrysler LLC, leaving it to fend for itself in bankruptcy court, unless Chrysler's Canadian and American unions agree to substantial labour-cost reductions by the end of the month, Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne says.
- UBS AG UBSN.VX will post a first-quarter loss and cut 8,700 more jobs as it struggles to recover, its new chief executive said on Wednesday, warning that Switzerland's largest bank faces an uncertain future.
- Yahoo Inc YHOO.O is gearing up for its third round of mass layoffs in 14 months, signalling the long-slumping Internet company is still struggling to snap out of its financial malaise under a new leadership team.
- Pirates attacked an American freighter with rocket fire and machine guns but the ship escaped even as other vessels fell into the clutches of marauding Somali bandits.
- Police are conducting a major operation aimed at the Hells Angels biker gang Wednesday morning, targeting 156 people in Quebec, New Brunswick, the Dominican Republic and France.
Financial Post Section:
- Total SA (TOTF.PA) does not see a scenario in which it would increase its offer for UTS Energy Corp UTS.TO, the president of the French oil multi-national's Canadian subsidiary said.
- Canwest Global Communications Corp CGS.TO said its subsidiary Canwest Media Inc has received a one-week extension from an ad hoc committee of senior noteholders as the company works on recapitalizing itself for a common senior lender and noteholder deadline of April 21.