UPDATE 2-Coal workers accept 3-yr wage deal offered by Colombia's Cerrejon

jueves 7 de marzo de 2013 16:22 CET
 

* Cerrejon workers have been on strike since Feb. 7

* Deal would give laborers a bonus of around $7,000

* Union hopes agreement ready to be signed on Friday

By Jack Kimball

BOGOTA, March 7 (Reuters) - Workers at Colombia's biggest coal exporter, Cerrejon, have accepted a three-year salary offer, paving the way for the signing of a final deal on Friday to end a month-long strike, union officials said.

Cerrejon's walkout since Feb. 7 is the last major supply problem remaining in Colombia, the world's fourth-largest coal exporter, after a regulator last week lifted a suspension on No. 2 exporter Drummond Ltd and a ban on nighttime operations at the main coal railway.

"The majority of workers embraced the deal and we'll be working on drafting (the agreement) today," Sintracarbon union president Igor Diaz told Reuters.

Cerrejon did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Another senior union official, Orlando Cuello, said they hoped to finish editing the deal and sign it on Friday.   Continuación...