UPDATE 4-Nomura tops fcasts with biggest profit in 9 quarters
* July-Sept net profit 27.7 bln yen vs 6.2 bln consensus
* Boosted by $1.6 bln trading gain, investment trusts
* To pay 4 yen/shr dividend, first payout in 3 quarters
* Rival Daiwa to follow with upbeat earnings on Friday
* Shares close up 0.3 pct before result, down 12 pct in 2009 (Recasts lead, adds details)
By Junko Fujita
TOKYO, Oct 28 (Reuters) - Nomura Holdings Inc's (8604.T: Cotización) biggest profit in nine quarters, coupled with $1.6 billion in trading gains, suggests the Japanese broker's aggressive push into overseas bond and equity markets is paying off.
Nomura has posted profits for two straight quarters, bouncing back from an annual loss of more than $7 billion last year on costs to integrate the European and Asian operations of Lehman Brothers LEHMQ.PK it bought after the U.S. bank failed.
Japan's largest investment bank says it has costs under control and is profiting from increased trade with Lehman's former clients while also using Lehman's network to land advisory contracts on cross-border deals. Continuación...