UPDATE 4-MetroPCS 2nd-qtr profit misses Street; shares sink
* Q2 EPS $0.07 vs est $0.13
* Q2 EBITDA $233.8 mln vs est $247.2 mln
* Q2 net additions falls sequentially; ARPU falls, churn up
* Reiterates outlook for the year
* MetroPCS shares fall 33 pct; Leap falls 18 pct (Recasts; adds CFO comments, details)
By S. John Tilak
BANGALORE, Aug 6 (Reuters) - MetroPCS Communications Inc's PCS.N quarterly profit missed market expectations as increased competition hurt subscriber growth at the low-cost wireless carrier, sending its shares down 33 percent to a record low.
All key metrics for the company were weak, underscoring concerns on Wall Street of rising competition and slowing growth for MetroPCS, which had earlier this year expanded into major new markets such as New York and Boston. Its rivals include Leap Wireless LEAP.O and Sprint-Nextel (S.N: Cotización) unit Boost Mobile.
Second-quarter average revenue per user (ARPU) at MetroPCS fell to $40.52 and churn rate, a measure of customer attrition, rose to 5.8 percent. Continuación...