UPDATE 4-Bank of America names Moynihan next CEO
* Moynihan to take up post after Lewis retires Dec 31
* Appointment ends months of speculation about CEO job
* Moynihan says main mandate is to carry out Lewis' biz plan
* Moynihan gives smooth transition, search leader says
* Will be based in Charlotte, easing fears of an HQ move (Adds Moynihan's comments from interview)
By Paritosh Bansal and Joe Rauch
NEW YORK/CHARLOTTE N.C., Dec 16 (Reuters) - Bank of America Corp (BAC.N: Cotización) on Wednesday tapped insider Brian Moynihan as its next chief executive, ending months of speculation about who would succeed Kenneth Lewis to lead the largest U.S. bank.
Moynihan, who heads the lender's retail bank, will take over as CEO and join the board after Lewis' retirement on Dec. 31. He will move to Charlotte from Boston, easing fears raised during the search that the bank's headquarters might move.
Moynihan said in an interview with Reuters late Wednesday his primary mandate is to carry out the business plan arranged by his predecessor, and the Charlotte, North Carolina-based banking giant must block out the distractions created in the wake of the financial crisis. Continuación...