PRESS DIGEST - Canada - April 15
April 15 (Reuters) - The following are top stories from selected Canadian newspapers. Reuters has not verified these stories and does not vouch for their accuracy.
THE GLOBE AND MAIL:
- A group of some 1,000 Afghans swarmed a demonstration of 300 women protesting against a new conservative marriage law in Kabul on Wednesday. The women were pelted with small stones as police struggled to keep the two groups apart.
- A delegation of residential school survivors has been granted a rare private audience with the Pope in the Vatican, fuelling hope that Benedict XVI will apologize for abuse in institutions run by Roman Catholic missionary congregations.
Report on Business Section
- Fiat SpA FIA.MI will abandon Chrysler LLC, leaving it to fend for itself in bankruptcy court, unless Chrysler's Canadian and American unions agree to substantial labour-cost reductions by the end of the month, Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne says.
- UBS AG UBSN.VX will post a first-quarter loss and cut 8,700 more jobs as it struggles to recover, its new chief executive said on Wednesday, warning that Switzerland's largest bank faces an uncertain future.
- Yahoo Inc (YHOO.O: Cotización) is gearing up for its third round of mass layoffs in 14 months, signalling the long-slumping Internet company is still struggling to snap out of its financial malaise under a new leadership team.
NATIONAL POST: Continuación...